Tuesday, January 18, 2011

You Know You are a Hoarder When...

What happened to my room after I remade the living room. I had to get those
two big bookcases out of my room and carry books, pile by pile and reorganize them.
Not everything that was once in the bookcase is going back...what to do? what to do?
I've certainly got my work cut out for me tomorrow. 

Heya folks! All of my life I have been a "slob" and lived in a "pig sty". Words in quotes because they are my mother's. She pleaded, yelled, and threatened in order to get me to clean my room when I was growing up. Let's just say I responded to all of this with steadfast defiance and the more she threatened, the more I refused to clean up my room.

Truth is I am really good at cleaning up. I helped my mum out with housework and once I cleaned the bathroom so well she decided it would be my chore for life. So I learned how to do a half-ass job of household chores so as not to be pinned with those tasks again!

I have been totally overwhelmed lately with the amount of articles I have accumulated over the past couple of years. When we watch "Hoarders" together as a family my partner and son look over at me with raised eyebrows as images of chaos and disaster sweep the television screen. I'd protest their stares with "I'm not that bad!" After all their were no decomposing cats, or shit stained washrooms, and I certainly wasn't crapping in diapers. But, I do have several sewing machines (only one works), knitting machines, fabric, yarn stashed in every negative space, projects on knitting needles in bags hanging from anything that looks like a hook, odds and ends from thrift stores that I still have no idea what I'll do with it. Yep, its a-gettin' pretty bad.

I decided to give the living room a makeover so that we can actually live in the room. No more yarn all over the place, unreachable dust bunnies, spinning wheel in the middle of the room, ball winders and swift. I need to give back space to my family. I wish I had taken "before" pics, but here is the "after".

Our fave hang out spot!

I like to sit in this chair to do my hand knitting and crochet. 

The bird cage on the left needs a little work. That ficus is barely fitting
in the room, but I haven't got the heart to get rid of it. In the summer it goes
out on our porch.

A place for all of my vintage and new craft magazines
and books. I just love my collection! 


So if your place looks anything like this:
Oh lawd, this is embarrassing! I essentially dump and reorganize
perhaps not the most sophisticated way to approach the task.

...It may be time for some help. I'll keep you posted on the fate of this room!
 Any tips for me on organizing? Any horror stories of your own? Let me know.

1 comment:

  1. First, this post is so good. The makeover of the first room let's me know that you can DEF accomplish this second room! GO YOU! You should post pics of the after for sure! I too am a bit of a messy person, but good at cleaning... hmm. Haha, i easily get overwhelmed by how fast it adds up but once it's done it feels SO good.

    Anywyas, I stopped by to say a huge thank you so much for your comment on my blog (colour her hope). It meant a lot to me that you even said anything to me, in your first stumble accross my blog. (i realize now, i follow you on twitter too!) Anyways, your comment really blessed me, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails