Saturday, February 13, 2010

DeVine Neck Warmer: Knitting Pattern






Materials





  • Diamond Yarn Luxury Collection: Lima 100% Peruvian Highland Wool (or any aran weight yarn) 160m, 100g 1 ball or similar weight yarn. I used colour 1984-Tobacco Row.
  • Yarn needle
  • 3 buttons at least 20mm or 3/4"
  • 5.5 mm straight needles
Gauge: gauge for this pattern is not that important, however this pattern using the above mentioned materials will have finished measurements of 23" long and 7.5" wide.

The neck warmer can be worn with a button open, or with the top button in the middle buttonhole and the middle button in the bottom buttonhole for an accidentally on purpose twist.
my buttons are made from coconut
CO 38 sts.
k 6 rows in garter stitch.
Next row: k4, pm, k to last 4 sts, pm, k to end

NOTE: first 4 and last 4 sts are always knit. This creates the garter st border of the neck warmer.

A note about the increases: increases are achieved by knitting into the front and back of the same stitch and likewise for the purl increase, purl into the front and back of the same stitch.

Begin vine leaf pattern.

Vine leaf pattern (middle 30 sts):
Row 1 (WS): k7, p5, k4, p3, k11.
Row 2: P9, p2tog, knit inc, k2, p4, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2, p7 (32 sts)
Row 3: K7, p7, k4, p2, k1, p1, k10.
Row 4: P8, p2tog, k1, purl inc, k2, p4, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, p7. (34 sts)
Row 5: K7, p9, k4, p2, k2, p1, k9.
Row 6: P7, p2tog, k1, purl inc, p1, k2, p4, ssk, k5, k2tog, p7. (32 sts)
Row 7: K7, p7, k4, p2, k3, p1, k8.
Row 8: P6, p2tog, k1, purl inc, p2, k2, p4, ssk, k3, k2tog, p7. (30 sts)
Row 9: K7, p5, k4, p2, k4, p1, k7.
Row 10: P7, yo, k1, yo, p4, k2, p4, ssk, k1, k2tog, p7. (30sts)
Row 11: K7, p3, k4, p2, k4, p3, k7.
Row 12: P7, [k1, yo] twice, k1, p4, k1, m1, k1, p2tog, p2, sl 2 knitwise, k1, p2sso, p7. (30 sts)
Row 13: K11, p3, k4, p5, k7.
Row 14: P7, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2, p4, k1, knit inc, k1, p2tog, p9. (32 sts)
Row 15: K10, p1, k1, p2, k4, p7, k7.
Row 16: P7, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, p4, k2, purl inc, k1, p2tog, p8. (34 sts)
Row 17: K9, p1, k2, p2, k4, p9, k7.
Row 18: P7, ssk, k5, k2tog, p4, k2, p1, purl inc, k1, p2tog, p7. (32 sts)
Row 19: K8, p1, k3, p2, k4, p7, k7.
Row 20: P7, ssk, k3, k2tog, p4, k2, p2, purl inc, k1, p2tog, p6. (30 sts)
Row 21: K7, p1, k4, p2, k4, p5, k7.
Row 22: P7, ssk, k1, k2tog, p4, k2, p4, yo, k1, yo, p7.
Row 23: K7, p3, k4, p2, k4, p3, k7.
Row 24: P7, sl 2 knitwise, k1, p2sso, p2, p2tog, k1, m1, k1, p4, [k1, yo] twice, k1, p7

Rep rows 1-24 4 more times

K 2 rows in garter st, remove stitch markers.
Buttonhole row: k4, yo twice, BO next 2 sts, [k12,yo twice, BO next 2 sts] twice, k4.
K 2 more rows, BO.

Weave in ends with yarn needle, block, sew on buttons.



handmade buttons by AB Originals
I purchased these at the Knitter's Frolic in 2009 in Toronto.
John Galda is the man behind the buttons. I also purchased tagua nut, deer antler, spalted maple, and ebony buttons.
my neck warmer is lined with vintage fabric

If you would like to line your neck warmer:
*cut a piece of fabric 1/2" wider and longer than your blocked and completed neck warmer.
*fold each side 1/4" twice and iron seams.
*stitch around border with sewing machine or by hand
*whip stitch the lining to the knitted neck warmer with wrong sides facing
*do not sew over button holes!

**a note about source: the leaf repeat pattern, though may be published in other material, was published in "Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book" in Chapter X Stitch Dictionary. I have made use of the dictionary to produce a pattern for this neck warmer.






Check out one blogger's experience knitting this pattern here

27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is just gorgeous- and just what I need to get out of knitting funk!- Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not understanding row 2 on your pattern. I'm coming up with 32 stitches not 34. Was there a correction printed? I love the pattern. Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found your blog because of the free pattern you posted on craigslist.

    nice neckwarmer. love that it buttons instead of pulling on and mussing your hair. love the fabric lining idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm confused.. the row 24 has 28 stitches, then row 1 goes right back to 30 stitches? How do I get back to the right number of stitches for my repeat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm...there are some mistakes in the pattern, I believe the stitch counts for the rows are not accurate. I'll see if I have time to knit it over again and make the corrections. For now, if anyone has knitted this successfully would you mind posting corrections/hints/tips for others?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 24th row seems funky to me... I'm not quite understanding what's wrong. I get to the end with the p5 and I have 6 stitches left. I LOVE this pattern and I really want it to work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should actually p7 at the end of row 24.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there,
    Just wanted to say that this is a beautiful pattern and thank you for sharing it! One teensy mistake that has already been noted: the final purling on row 24 should be 7. Truly a lovely pattern though, I'm enjoying it a lot. Lining it is also a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for letting me know Sarah, I have made the correction!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am happy you are enjoying the pattern Ella!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot resist doing another one of these in the green Debbie Mumm yarn. It's crazy that there is no cabling whatsoever and the hardest part is picking out the buttons - I LOVE it! Thank you for sharing your talented work with everyone for free. If anyone makes a viney hat or mittens, you really should link up. I see this pattern on a raglan in the near future, I hope :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great! If you are on Ravelry I hope that you'll share photos of your work or post a link here in the comments so we can see them. The leaf design is from a stitch dictionary, I can't take credit for the talent in that department. The pattern can be used to make a hat, sweater, anything. If I get adventurous I may be inspired to design something with the vine motif in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this scarf but im having a conundrum?
    Is row 2 supposed to open with p7 and not p9? their is something funky going on I think?

    Im a fairly new knitter and I think Im breaking my brain?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry you are hurting yourself on this pattern, please, I don't want to be responsible for any breaking brains!

    Yes, there were some mistakes in this pattern when first published here...I suppose many of you were test knitting it!

    I am pretty sure that row 2 is correct. If you like, put the project aside and after the holiday rush, I am going to go through this pattern again and test it out and post any additional corrections.

    Please continue to leave comments here you think may be of use to others...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,

    Thanks so much for the beautifull pattern... Im fairly new at knitting and am havign a problem with row 12....at the end instead of having P7 i only have 5 stitches....any help would be greately appreciated...Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you okay with the p5 at the end. I have made mistakes in this pattern, unfortunately. As you can see from the comments above some are having trouble, but others have completed the pattern successfully. I still have to go over and re knit it and mark down the revisions. Just hang in there and when I get to it I'll post the revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there just found your blog from craftsy, and nabbed the pattern for this gorgeous neck warmer.
    thank you sooo much xx

    ps. can you guess what i'm knitting tonight??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for this free pattern.
    I've just finished to knit one scarf for my mother's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for posting this pattern for free. I'm almost done and it looks fantastic! In the beginning I did have a challenge with the 24th row but, it was me and not the pattern. There are no mistakes here you just have to be careful and always count your stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sher, Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad that its worked out for you. Thanks for providing the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what does pm mean in the 7th row

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn't this the Daphne scarf pattern as designed by Saranac Hale Spencer on Ravelry? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/daphne-19

    Go ahead and delete my post if you don't want people to see these are exactly the same, but yeah. I am actually knitting Daphne right now, and notice your starting point is exactly the same as hers. =\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello SovereignCrux, I hadn't seen that pattern before. I'm not surprised there would be similar patterns floating around either purposefully or accidentally. My pattern was published on my blog and in Ravelry in Feb 2010. The Daphne pattern was published in Ravelry on Nov 2011. Be careful before you jump to conclusions and don't assume that anyone is trying to rip off someone else. Try and give people the benefit of the doubt before "outing" them.

      Delete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails