Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Treating My Depression Through Craft

When I began this blog my intention was to write about how craft helped pull me out of depression and became an essential part of my treatment as well as my ongoing emotional and mental health. I guess I realized I didn't really feel like writing about my struggles while going through them and it was much more productive to concentrate on the stuff I love and post about that.

I have a sneaking suspicion that many of you out there struggle with depression, mood disorders, or life situations that get you down. I feel without my craft, my hobbies I would be lost and perhaps this describes you as well. I have been thinking more and more how I could publish something on this blog that would be of benefit to the readers (if you are out there) and I have something in the works.

You're not alone, though depression is an extremely isolating condition. We have to learn how to take care of ourselves and to battle the negative thoughts and moods that seem to overwhelm us. No matter if you have been through depression in the past, are currently experiencing it,  have had a lifelong battle with it, or you are in the dark about your condition my hope is that the postings contained within this blog will be a source of hope, inspiration, commiseration, and a place to reflect.

LadeeBee- She is sometimes sad, but not always.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, creating with our hands does help to clear depression. I wonder if it has something to do with the focus involved and the personal control over the given project. Or maybe even being able to communicate an idea into something tangible and meaningful in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. - An' Although I'm not going to be good at leaving a great 'comment' here today, just reading your little snippet is enough to get me thinkin' (because the act of "Thinking" hasn't done anything good for me lately),...that I should do exactly the same, Craft! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your site, please visit mine at
    Astitchisastitch.blogspot.com

    I liked the phrase you use, and I use a similar one on mine
    Sincerely, Doreen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails